Jonathan L. Sheline, MD, MS, is a board-certified family physician, who did standard medical practice for 27 years, i.e. mainly using prescription medications to treat diseases. He has learned there is a better way, and created this practice to pursue his dream of treating the underlying causes of disease, to get and keep people well. He eats a whole-foods, plant based diet himself, and knows the benefits first-hand.
Philosophy of Physician Assisted Wellness: You, the patient, can heal yourself, with a little helpful advice, often without needing to take ANY medication. The focus here is on making changes in your lifestyle to become healthy and stay healthy. The personalized program I will develop with you will involve mainly changing your diet. Exercise, stress reduction, good sleep habits, social connection, and minimizing alcohol and drug use are also important. These lifestyle changes have proven results for treating and curing obesity, diabetes, hypertension, high cholesterol, heart disease, irritable bowel syndrome, and more. They can also help prevent dementia, as well as cancers of the colon, breast, prostate, and brain.
- Undergrad: Brown University, 1976, Sc.B., Magna cum laude, with Honors in Biology
- MS degree in Epidemiology from the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health, 1978
- MD: University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 1984
- Licensed to practice medicine in North Carolina since 1985
- Board certified in Family Medicine since 1990
- Member of the American Academy of Lifestyle Medicine since 2015
- Member of Physician’s Committee for Responsible Medicine since 2017
- CHIP (TM) certified instructor, 10/2016